Chimneys look beautiful, and they can help vent out fumes and smoke when you use it to heat your home. However, chimneys can also have several problems if not properly inspected and maintained. Here are five of the most common issues we see with chimneys:
- Brickwork problems. This can cover a wide array of problems from loose or missing mortar between bricks, loose bricks, or even broken bricks that require replacement.
- Flue cracks. The flue is what allows the smoke and gases from the fire to vent out of the house. If it cracks, it can allow toxic gases to seep into the home.
- Blockages. Animals love the warmth and safety a chimney provides. If they make a home in your chimney, it could lead to a blocked chimney. If you were to light a fire, the animal could get hurt or die in the chimney. Additionally, it could result in a lot of smoke or fumes backing up inside your home. If you suspect an animal has nested in your chimney, call animal control to relocate it and then call us to remove the nest.
- Creosote. Creosote is a buildup that occurs when a fire is lit in the fireplace. As the soot and ash rise up the chimney, some can stick to the side of the bricks. This builds up over time and is incredibly flammable. If you do not get regular chimney cleaning in Montgomery County PA, it can result in a very dangerous chimney fire.
- Cap and crown issues. The top of a chimney is covered with a cap and crown. There is usually also some type of mesh to keep animals out. If these break, you will end up needing chimney repair in Trevose, PA to fix it so you do not get animals calling your chimney home.
Is your chimney in need of a winter cleaning or repair? Above All Chimney & Masonry is here to help! Reach out to our team to receive a free estimate.